Kevin Lindeman reported:
We had another great meeting July 17 at Vasona. Perfect weather and great company. Roger brought his jockey box with some great beers. The main things we talked about were:
Belgian Beer competition next month (August)
– This meeting is on 8/20. I think we might try to have it at Vasona again. We did the Mosaic comp there last year and it worked out well.
– Roger will be setting up the website soon for registration
– Santa Cruz County Fair
$5 per entry, due 8/13
$8 per entry, due 9/2
Disc Golf Tournament
Ended up being a huge success. Had about a dozen people show up. It was an extremely hot day, and almost didn’t happen as Kelley Park was overrun with a festival. But luckily Andy and Kyle were able to snag a table for home base to grill up some burgers and hot dogs, and great beers. A few of us had kegs, as well as a great bottle selection. Lets look to have this event again soon, as it was a lot of fun!
– First set of tickets went on sale yesterday. Sounds like there are about 20 of us representing HQ so far.
– Next set of tickets goes on sale next Sunday, 7/24 at 10AM.
Silicon Valley Beer Week
Starts next Friday, a few interesting events:
– Los Gatos BrewFest
Jack Rose Libation House (really cool cocktail bar)
Saturday July 23rd 12PM-5PM
$10 entry fee, includes two tasters
– An Evening w/ Founders Brewer Jeremy Kosmicki
Original Gravity Public House
Wednesday July 27th 5PM-10:45PM
– Ballast Point tap takeover (54 taps)
O’Flaherty’s in San Pedro
– Sierra Nevada tap takeover (54 taps)
O’Flaherty’s in San Pedro
Style of the Month
– Farmhouse, Biere De Garde (Trying to do my best Kyle impression here)
– Pairie Artisan Ales Prairie Vous Francais
– Pretty good farmhouse style saison, with added Brett. A bit weird on the nose but really refreshing.
– Tahoe Mountain Brewing Biere de Garde
– Not a very good example of the style. Kinda reminded me of ketchup + beer in flavor
ShareRoger– Cream AleRoger’s house beer. This one was extra corny. First one he did with White Labs 090 (San Diego Super Yeast), which is what he thinks brought out the corn more. I know in my experience it brings out hops more than standard 001, so I would agree.– MeadVery boozy nose, yet still pretty light and crisp in flavor. 13%ish?Jeremy– Helles BockLager style beer. Meant to be a clone of Sierra Nevada Glissade. Seemed to be a great example of Glissade for those of us that could remember it, as they do not make it anymore.Chris– Dark MildFirst brew on the electric brew in a bag system. Extremely easy drinking and refreshing, but a bit low on the ABV as it was the first brew on a new system. Sounds like he got it dialed in on the second one though. Hopefully we can get a demo of the equipment some time 😀